Monday, February 14, 2011

A confession

I don't know if this makes me a closet hippie, or if it's just an outward manifestation of my own personal religious beliefs, but every time I hear Joel Salatin speak I find myself yelling "yeah!" and "that's right!". And then I take my hypocritical bottom to the store and buy whatever produce is on sale.
I don't know if you've noticed, but it's February. Which means that the produce is mostly from last season, has been sitting in a chill chest and is quite frankly disappointing beyond words.

To that end, I have decided to sign us up for a CSA. That's Community Supported Agriculture, friends.

I have researched my options (thanks, interwebs!) and I have narrowed it down to a CSA that delivers to a place about 10 minutes from my front door. This particular CSA allows you to buy SEASONAL shares, so I will be signing up for spring & fall, and still enjoying my local farmer's market in the summer. They also have eggs. From chickens raised like chickens and not like robots. I am really excited to be partaking in a system that supports local business people, heals the earth, and puts healthy food on my table.
(But I am still shaving my armpits, which should disqualify me from full hippie status)

1 comment:

Amber Pixie Shehan said...

YAY YAY YAY! Be the change you want to see, and manifest! Good for you (and your family) to support local agriculture!

And if folks call you a hippy, throw a nice, ripe tomato at their heads. They won't expect it, since hippies are non-violent, right? *evil grin*