Sunday, June 12, 2011

Clarification

So my last post does indeed look like I was sitting on my keyboard.
It was in actuality a rant about having to be in the basement for 5 hours with a wet/dry vac as the torrential rain was pushing water up the standpipe. (SERIOUSLY, how are we ever going to sell this house?!)

But it was sent from my phone, which translated the whole thing into a Yosemite Sam style rant. And after I talked to my neighbor, who came home to 2 FEET of water in his basement, I am just going to sit down & shut up. He has lived in that house for 21 years and has NEVER had that problem before. But in the past 3 years we have experienced 2 50-year flood events and 1 100-year flood event. (But the weather is fine. There's no global warming*)

Back to selling the house: Not this year, or even in the next 5 years. In all likelihood, not until Fiona graduates high school (2025). Because I really like Tinley Park, and the schools, and the proximity to Chicago. However the winters here turn me into the saddest panda in the bamboo forest.

Last week my cousin was here from Birmingham (Alabama) and we went into the city to the Art Institute. It was glorious and magnificent and I had forgotten how much I love the city. All cities, really. They have this wonderful character & life of their own. And Chicago has so much that I haven't seen, so there's no way we can move away just yet.

*just another bee in my bonnet. I won't go into detail here, suffice it to say that I work in an environment where a lot of people come through clinging to their ignorance as though it was a shield.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I agree about cities having their own character. I was born and raised here, and I wanna stay here forever...no need to ever leave!