Friday, November 26, 2004

Update: 4 weeks!


(photo) One month old! Posted by Hello

Hooray, hooray!
We've made it FOUR WHOLE WEEKS without any desires to throw ourselves out of the window or attempts to sell Adrian to the Gypsies.
Although I have threatened to shave the cats on more than one occasion...But that's neither here nor there.
Taking the lead from another blogging lady , I shall be writing monthly letters to Adrian which will be up for all to see.
Here begins the first installment of many letters to our wee man:

Sweet Adrian,

These past four weeks you have astounded me with your development. You are holding your head up, propping yourself up on your elbows, and your newest, favorite trick is to throw the lower half of your body around when I'm trying to change your diaper. You've nearly thrown yourself right off the changing table twice now, and you think this is great fun--as evidenced by your smiles.
Yes! You are smiling now, and I have to admit that my heart melts a little every time you do it. Of course, you're a surreptitious smiler, so I haven't been able to catch any on film yet.
Our days involve a wobbly routine of feeding, diaper changing, and staring out the living room window. You love to sit and stare out the window--I have no idea what it is that you find so entrancing, but it keeps you from fussing; so stare away, little man.
All in all you're not a big crier, you fuss mainly for four reasons: you're hungry, you're in need of a diaper change, you're lonely, or you're falling asleep. Man, do you hate falling asleep. The easiest ways to get you to sleep are to nurse you to sleep, or to rest you on my chest and rub your back. You are a very snuggly baby--and I enjoy it because I know that a day will come when you shrug off my hugs and kisses. At night, you sleep in the bed with me and are a complete bed-hog. I'm now competing with you and two cats for my side of the bed.
The cats have warmed up to you--Lunchbox more so than Jack. Lunchbox will spoon you when we sleep in bed together, and she checks up on you when you stir in your sleep. Jack will spoon with us occasionally, but he still doesn't understand that he can't sit on you like he sits on us. I spend at least 2 nights a week pushing Jack to the foot of the bed b/c he's trying to stand on you. This is part of the reason that I've threatened to shave him.
Your relationship with your father is funny and sweet. He is in charge of bathing you, as I couldn't stand your screeeeeaming in the first few weeks of life. You now enjoy the bath part of bath time, but don't like the cold nakedness that book ends it. Your dad is the one who carries you around in the baby-harness when we go out in public, or when you're tired but won't sleep at home. You guys hang out and nap together in front of the TV--it's very manly. He's been singing songs by Slipknot, Type O Negative, and Marilyn Manson to you...So I've tried to counter-balance with Taj Mahal, Jimmy Reed, BB King, Ani DiFranco, and Tori Amos. If nothing else, you're experiencing as wide a variety of music as we can manage.
We love you immensely, little man, and can't wait to see what surprises lay in store in the next four weeks.
Love,
Mama
P.S.--If you could just get your butt under control, that'd be great. This past Tuesday I had to clean your poo off the walls in a horrible ricochet incident involving an unguarded tushie and an open box of baby wipes.
(the horror!!!)

No comments: