Monday, September 27, 2004

I scream, you scream...

Nothing quite describes the joy of living in my neighborhood like the sound of the ice cream trucks....
You see, we live a stone's throw from an elementary school. And to the folks who drive ice cream trucks, elementary schools must be akin to shooting fish in a barrel. This is the leap I am making on behalf of the mobile purveyors of frosty goodness.
I used to looove the idea of the ice cream truck. I think the first time I experienced a real live ice cream truck I was 12 years old--an age at which you are interested in the ice cream truck but are far more interested in the pre-teen sport of "looking cool" by not associating with the ice cream truck.
And when we first moved into this house, I enjoyed the ice cream truck's daily drive-by, even though NONE of the kids in this neighborhood seem interested in the dinner-spoiling goodness of the ice cream man. But then, the unthinkable happened.
You see, there are about 4 different ice cream truck companies in this town...And for whatever reason, all 4 companies have decided that it would be a good idea to send trucks through our neighborhood. There's one company that sends two different trucks at various times of the day, hoping to catch kids with spare change. And silent ice cream trucks would not be so bad...But these trucks are not silent.
In their efforts to lure children out of their homes (a la the Pied Piper), these trucks come equipped with "music"--the kind of music that makes you think of organ grinders and the early keyboards from the 80's (where everything sounds as though it's coming from the bottom of a tin can). Lest you think that I am a woman cranky and old before her time, please know that I could put up with this serenade once a day for the duration of my street. (bee-de-bee-de-bee-de-de-bee-de-de-bee-de, bee-de-bee-de-bee-de-de-bee-de-de-bee-de)
But the sound of the ice cream truck two streets away, 5 times daily? That's an hour of unpleasantness that I could live without. Imagine being stuck in an elevator listening to Alvin and the Chipmunks sing Christmas carols for an hour and you'll begin to see what I mean.
I don't advocate the removal of the ice cream trucks, but maybe they could play something else? A catchy salsa beat? The best of the 80's? The audio feed from the Oprah Winfrey Show? Anything but the waltz that I cannot figure out the name of, but that I am subjected to 5 times a day....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The one near me plays the theme to "Doctor Zhivago".
-Kathleen