Friday, September 24, 2004

License Plates

Another story about life & culture shock in Oklahoma!
This one also has to do with my car.

I moved to Oklahoma from Arlington, Virginia (National Cemetery, Pentagon, 5 Metro stops from DC). Therefore, my car's license plates were issued by the state of Virginia...And due to expire during my stay in the Sooner state. So I figure, no big deal--I'll just get Oklahoma plates.
Well, in Virginia you get your license plates from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Here is my first lesson: do not attempt to look up "Department of Motor Vehicles" in the phone book. Why, you ask? The answer is simple: THERE IS NO DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES in Oklahoma. Where then does one get new license plates for one's car? From a place called "The Tag Office". That's right--in Oklahoma, you don't get license plates you get "Car Tags".
So, armed with this new information, I returned to the phone book to search out the "Tag Office". I found the number, dialed it and had a conversation that went like this:
Lady #1: County Tag Office.
Me: Hi! I moved here from out-of-state and I was wondering what I needed to do to get new tags for my car.
Lady #1: Hold on.
Lady #2: County Tag Office.
Me: Hi! I moved here from out-of-state and I was wondering what I needed to do to get new tags for my car.
Lady #2: Hold on.
(On hold for 2 and a half minutes)
Lady # 2: County Tag Office.
Me: Moved here from out-of-state. Need new car tags. What do I need to do?
Lady #2: Bring your car and proof of insurance to the Tag Office.
Me: Thank you
Lady #2: (hangs up)

Sounds easy enough. I get into my car, double check to make sure that I have my proof of insurance, and drive over to the Tag Office. I walk in, wait in line until it is my turn. I approach the desk, plunk down my proof of insurance and this is what happens:
Me: Hi! I've got out-of-state car tags, and I need some Oklahoma ones.
Lady at the desk: You got a driver's license?
Me: Yes.
Lady at the desk: From Oklahoma?
Me: No...It's from Virginia.
Lady at the desk: Well I can't give you Oklahoma tags until you get an Oklahoma license.
Me: Ok, what do I need to do to get one?
Lady at the desk: Take the driver's license test. It's given twice a month at this retirement home.
Me: O-kay...thank you?

And I leave the Tag Office, without plates for my car, but very very confused. I relate this story to a coworker later in the week and she informs me that I have been duped! So I decide to call back to the Tag Office and ask again what I need to get Tags for my car:
Lady #1: County Tag Office.
Me: I need to get Oklahoma tags to replace my out-of-state tags, what do I need to do?
Lady #1: Hold on.
Lady #2: County Tag Office.
Me: I need to get Oklahoma tags to replace my out-of-state tags, what do I need to do?
Lady #2: Bring your car and proof of insurance down to the office.
Me: That's it? Because I was in there the other day and I was told that I had to have an Oklahoma driver's license in order to get Oklahoma tags.
Lady #2: You were? Well that's just wrong. Just bring your car and proof of insurance.
Me: Ok, thank you.

Once again, I travel across town to procure my license plates from the Tag Office, wait in line and then:

Lady at the desk: Can I help you?
Me: (presenting proof of insurance) I've got out-of-state tags, I need new ones.
Lady at the desk: Where's your title?
Me: Excuse me?
Lady at the desk: Your car title. Where is it?
Me: At the bank, I assume.
Lady at the desk: You still owe money on your car?
Me: Yes...
Lady at the desk: Well, we're gonna need your lien, so that the state can put their name on it.
Me: What?
Lady at the desk: The state puts their name on the lien. You got that with you?
Me: no...
Lady at the desk: Well, go get it.
Me: Do I need to bring anything else with me when I come back? Bank statements? Medical records?
Lady at the desk: No, just the lien.

My second lesson is this: when you call the Tag Office; do not believe what they tell you.

So I procure my lien, proof of insurance, drivers license, proof of residence, and social security card and return to the Tag Office. I wait in line, approach the desk, explain my situation again, provide all of the aforementioned documentation, and wouldn't you know it? The address of the bank isn't on the lien, so the lady at the desk tells me I'm going to have to come back with that. And I tell her that I have been to the tag office 3 times already and that if I have to go away and come back one more time, I'm going to pack up all of my stuff and move out of state because nothing should be this difficult. After a few cell phone calls, the bank address is procured and I receive my car tag. Which leads to the ultimate and final lesson:
If you're planning on moving to Oklahoma, prepare for blinding incompetence and pack valium.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh God, Kara - that sounds horrible. But it was kinda funny. Hope things are going well for you! :D


~Kym

Anonymous said...

Did I ever tell you about getting my car registered in Michigan? I couldn't switch the title because I didn't have the insurance. I couldn't get insurance because I didn't have a license from Michigan. I couldn't get a license because I didn't have the correct seventy forms of identification. What could I use as identification? A title in my name.
So it's not just Oklahoma. It's the whole midwest.
-Kathleen

Mike Da Hat said...

No wonder people steal cars and use false plates. Are they trying to encourage people to be dishonest? Makes you wonder sometimes.
Regards
Mike da Hat
Musician Writer and bad Dancer

Anonymous said...

Kara,

As a lawyer and as your father I have obviously been remiss about teaching you how to deal with bureaucrats.
First rule: "If it isn't written down, it didn't happen." Ergo, first question: "Where can I find that rule (law, guideline, bulletin, department instruction) on that in the regulations (statute, web-site, department publication)?"
Second rule: Since I'm the government official, you can do what I tell you and take it for gospel." Ergo, second question: "Great. Now can I have your name, title and direct dial phone number?" (Caveat: Private industry understands this second one. You know I work for the health insurance industry - try finding a phone number to call on any of that correspondence.)

Pack you car. Come on home. We miss you.

Your Da.

Anonymous said...

I found this blog by accident but found it funny because I am in the opposite, and the same position as you. I moved to virginia from oklahoma. When I needed to get my car registered I got out the phone book to look up the nearest tag agency, and to my suprise...what? I have to go to a DMV. Thats going to take forever i thought. So I call the DMV and ask what i need to get a registration. Im told my old DL, and proof of residence. I get the proper documents, go to the DMV and then im told that i also need a birth certificate. I thought, why? I have a Drivers License. So I go home and check the internet to see if the lady at the DMV knew what she was talking about and it said i may need that. I guess i should have known not to trust what she said. Then i find out about this car tax. ??? Wtf is a car tax. So now before i can get my Car registered i have to get $500 for car tax. And then...i find out i have to get a safety inspection. I didnt know states did that anymore. So I feel your frustration with oklahoma. but honestly..i think every states gov is out to rip you off in someway to make you pay for roads and such. especially virginia. Ive never had to spend so much money just to drive. Id rather be back in oklhoma where driving only costs my time and patience, lol.