Friday, October 08, 2004

Black Friday

Sadness is the hallmark of today.
We have lost our dear littlest cat Khurplunque (aka Plunky). He was hit by a car last night, and as a result suffered severe nerve damage in his hindquarters. To make losing him easier, I have composed a letter to our booger, which I will post here.

Dear Plunky,
I am sorry that you were in pain and I am sorry that there was not more that we could do for you.
You were nice to have around and I will miss you. I liked the way you would sit outside the front door and meow until someone let you in. I like how you would sometimes sleep under the covers with me. I will miss watching you chase bugs, especially flies. You were an excellent bug-catcher. I will miss seeing you and Jacko nap together. I liked the way that you meowed when you wanted to be picked up and carried like a baby. I liked the way you would scoop food from the food bowl for yourself so you didn’t have to wait in line to eat--That was pretty clever.
I will not miss you waking me up with your cold paws, or the way you sometimes felt the need to be in the bathroom with me when I had to pee. I will not miss your habit of tearing open 20-pound bags of cat food just because you could. I will not miss the way you terrorized Lunchbox and Jacko when all they wanted was to relax. I will not miss your habit of meowing loudly from other parts of the house for no reason. I will not miss your habit of climbing the screen door…it’s a door, not a rock wall at the gym, dude. I will not miss your affinity for tearing up paper towels or rolls of toilet paper. I will not miss you clawing at the furniture.
I will miss your sleepy yellow-green eyes right after naptime, and the way you were always so excited to see us when we got up in the mornings. I will miss your gutter-purr. I will miss your affections and I will miss you. You were a good cat.
With Love,
kara

No comments: