Sunday, October 24, 2004

Early Education

If this baby ever decides to be born, we are living in the perfect house for him to become an entomologist. I'm not saying that I'd like for my son to be obsessed with bugs; it's just that we seem to have a wide variety of them sneaking into our home March through November.
So far I have experienced: 3 tarantulas, 4 wolf spiders, countless crickets, mosquitoes, houseflies, cockroaches (which are the bane of my existence), weevils, moths, June bugs, roly-polies (pill bugs), and numerous bugs the likes of which I have never before seen.
Now, I don't have a problem with most (read: non-poisonous & small) spiders, and we currently have a spider living between 2 panes of our sliding glass door that I've named Francois (fran-swah). For a while we had a spider living in the bathroom that I called Herman, until Herman produced egg sacks and my husband decided it was time for Herman to go. I figure that having spiders is similar to having cats--they both catch and kill things so I don't have to.
I know some of you are currently standing on chairs and calling the exterminator for me, but look: the bugs aren't living & breeding in the house, they're coming in from outside. How do I know this? We're living in a run-down rental home that has an inch or so gap between the bottom of all doors and the threshold. And I've never seen baby bugs, just fully grown ones. So, unless you plan to foot the bill to exterminate the entire neighborhood, just bring a can of RAID when you come to visit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eww.... bugs... :-) I'll keep that whole can of RAID thing in mind ;-)
Love ya! Lyre

Gia said...

I just saw you post over on Dooce and thought I would come over to freak about your finding a tarantula (another one!!!) in your bathroom! AHHHHHHHHH! I thought finding a black window nest in my chimney was creepy - but tarantulas in the bathroom top it!

Thoughts of Raid coming your way...