Sunday, October 10, 2004

Nesting Instincts

For a certain group of people (hey gals!) the word "nesting" is a euphemism for the process of creating a baby, rather than the frenzied cleaning of a very pregnant woman. Unfortunately for them, this post is about the crazy things I have found myself doing in the name of cleanliness.
In no particular order:
1. I took apart and cleaned the interior of the vacuum cleaner because it did not meet my carpet-cleaning standards. I cleaned the filters and actually cleaned the vacuum cleaner itself (with 409 and paper towels) until it was sparkly. (see how it sparkles!)
2. I cleaned the downstairs bathroom. By which I mean that I scrubbed the grout in between the shower tiles with a toothbrush and cleaned the floors BY HAND because I just didn't think the mop would do it right.
3. I dry-dusted and Pledged the UNDERSIDES of the coffee tables in the living room.
4. I reorganized the pantry into a system that is logical only to me.

I have been tempted (but have not yet succumbed) to
1. Alphabetize the spice cabinet--I've done it before.
2. Bathe the cats--I've done this before too, but with less pleasant results.
3. Tear up the ratty living room carpet and put down one of those neat inter-locking carpet systems they keep showing in Home Depot adverts. (Seeing as how this house is a rental, I don't think the realty company would be inclined to return our deposit should I proceed with this plan)
4. Pull down the "wallpaper" in the bathroom and paint it. I say "wallpaper" because I have a sneaking suspicion that it is actually contact paper masquerading as wallpaper.
5. Purchase entirely new bedding for our bedroom. This would cause a minor stroke in my husband, which is the only thing that keeps me from doing it. But every time I walk past the bedding section in any retail facility I am sorely tempted by the suzy-homemaker-demons.

I have been really restless for the past 24 hours. I don't know if it's the fact that it's been raining since 2pm Saturday, or that I'm in the "keeping busy" stage of grief (see the "Black Friday" post for more info), or if I'm actually nesting. At any rate, the house is getting cleaner.
And now, it's time for pie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well... at least you haven't taken apart the dishwasher yet! :p

I'm glad to hear that things are going well for ya. And if you get restless and have nothing else to clean - drop me a line.

I'll tell Cat you got the sororities gift - she'll be so excited that you liked it. 'Course - you still have something coming from me - but did you actually think I'd have it there when I wanted? ;)

Talk to you soon - and I'm so sorry about you kitty. :(

Love ya!
Kym